Long Live The Loud
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

True Arcane Steele Vinyl!!

Go down 
+6
SpectreFate
Phoenix Reign Drummer
MetalGuy71
DeathCult
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Quantity, Not Quality
Quantity, Not Quality
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2008-01-24

True Arcane Steele Vinyl!! Empty
PostSubject: True Arcane Steele Vinyl!!   True Arcane Steele Vinyl!! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 10:05 am

True Arcane Steele Vinyl!! Killen

Let me tell you a little story:

Twenty years ago I was a college freshman living in Staten Island, New York. One of my friends and I went out one night to see a few local bands play at a club (he was friends with the guitar player in one of them). The headliner that evening was KILLEN, who were apparently the most popular Staten Island metal band at the time (which I guess is kinda like saying "the prettiest woman in the Royal Family" or "The biggest fan of the Montreal Expos" cuz there's not much to work with...) anyway, they seemed like a decent enough band, nothing that made me into a life long fan, and eventually I forgot all about'em.

A few months ago, however, a certain poster at a certain other forum posted a pic of their lone album (pictured above; it was self released by the band in 1987) in a certain "rare vinyl" thread and I went "Wow, I haven't heard that band in years." I did some Googling and found out that there were bootleg CDs of this release circulating, but they were e-Baying in the $30-40 range and that was a bit steep for my blood, especially because I couldn't remember a thing about how they sounded. Fortunately I was able to find a download of the album to check out before I dropped my hard earned cash on it.

...and boy was I glad I did, because WOW, this band was frickin AWFUL. Imagine, if you will, a third rate Manowar fronted by the love child of Geddy Lee (Rush) and John Gallagher (Raven), whose nuts were being nibbled by wombats during the recording process. The production was cheap as hell (and not in that "warm and fuzzy '80s indie metal vinyl" kind of way) with drums way up front drowning out all but the terrible vocals. The guitars, when you could hear them through the echo, sounded like rubber bands stretched across a cigar box.

I recently found out that for whatever reason, original copies of this album regularly go for over $200 on eBay. That kills me because I used to frequent a record store on Staten Island that had stacks and stacks of this LP in one corner and they never seemed to sell any. I wish I had a time machine, cuz I'd go back to 1988, buy up the entire pile, then come back to the present and make a mint selling'em off to the Troo Arcane Steele Vinyl crowd on eBay!!

The moral of the story kids, is this: Just because an album is considered "rare" and valuable, does not necessarily mean that it's GOOD.

Here ends today's sermon. By the way, I think I still have some MP3s off of this thing floating around in my computer so if any of you want to hear this monstrosity for yourself, just let me know. I let SpectreFate hear a few tracks a while back and he hasn't been the same since!! Wink
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
It's Easier To Lie
It's Easier To Lie
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: True Arcane Steele Vinyl!!   True Arcane Steele Vinyl!! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 10:18 am

I've noticed that quite a few times on things that are considered "rare".It doesnt necessarily mean its something you want to listen much less give $100 or better for.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Quantity, Not Quality
Quantity, Not Quality
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: True Arcane Steele Vinyl!!   True Arcane Steele Vinyl!! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 10:21 am

Thrasher73 wrote:
I've noticed that quite a few times on things that are considered "rare".It doesnt necessarily mean its something you want to listen much less give $100 or better for.

At one of the other forums I post at (Heavy Harmonies) they have a whole section devoted to eBay averages, prices for certain rare releases, etc., and I just shake my head when I read thru that. People are willing to spend hundreds of bucks on some no-name hair metal band's CD that they've never heard before just because it's "rare," and I'm like "but what if it sucks?"

I dunno, I guess I'm just more of a "fan" than a "collector." I'd rather listen to the music I have rather than store it in plastic sleeves and never touch anything for fear of "de-valuing" it.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Disturbing The Priest
Disturbing The Priest
DeathCult

Number of posts : 855

PostSubject: Re: True Arcane Steele Vinyl!!   True Arcane Steele Vinyl!! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 10:36 am

I listen to all my rare cd's I dont see the point of buying it in the first place if you're not going to listen to it.

And to go along with what Freddy's saying Cryptic Slaughter's Stream Of Consciousness album is one of the WORST albums ever recorded, yet cd copies of it go for hundreds of dollars. I got mine still sealed in a long box for 5.98 haha. Hell, I traded one to Sax one time, and even he thought it was awful.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
MetalGuy71
Sexy Octogenarian
Sexy Octogenarian
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 311

PostSubject: Re: True Arcane Steele Vinyl!!   True Arcane Steele Vinyl!! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 3:15 pm

I've often wondered about guys like sovdat and other "serious" collectors that spend outrageous amounts for rare cd/albums just because it's rare even if it's crap.

Dinosaur turds are rare too, but at the end of the day, it's still a turd.
Back to top Go down
Phoenix Reign Drummer
Lil' Drummer Boy
Lil' Drummer Boy
Phoenix Reign Drummer

Number of posts : 316

PostSubject: Re: True Arcane Steele Vinyl!!   True Arcane Steele Vinyl!! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 5:15 pm

Post the songs I wanna hear! This reminds me of another album thats rare and expensive Venom The Waste Lands. I only have one Venom cd that I bought a couple weeks ago for the hell of it. I havent even listened to it but a friend of mine used to be really into them and he would make me tapes. I never really gotten into them that much to buy their stuff but if I see it used i'll pick it up like I did with Welcome to Hell. Anyway has anyone heard The Waste Lands? Its Venom and I know a lot of their albums are hit and miss. I keep seeing in a store I go to and their selling it for $100. I looked it up on ebay and amazon and its the same there too. I found it for like $30 on amazon.co.uk but I asked the guy how much the shipping was and it ended up being like another $30 so even though its still cheaper than a $100 is it even worth that much?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/waynethedrummerboy
DeathCult
Disturbing The Priest
Disturbing The Priest
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: True Arcane Steele Vinyl!!   True Arcane Steele Vinyl!! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 5:21 pm

I dont know, Ill have to download it now, I didnt like Prime Evil, so I stopped buying Venom albums after that, but had I bought it when it was readily boobs err I mean available, Id have some dough to put towards that Born Again lot. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
I Love The Dead
I Love The Dead
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 590

PostSubject: Re: True Arcane Steele Vinyl!!   True Arcane Steele Vinyl!! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 6:45 pm

I have the Waste Lands and its pretty darn good. Not worth 100 dollars, but great nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brianleemarshall.com
Phoenix Reign Drummer
Lil' Drummer Boy
Lil' Drummer Boy
Phoenix Reign Drummer

PostSubject: Re: True Arcane Steele Vinyl!!   True Arcane Steele Vinyl!! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 7:18 pm

spectrefate wrote:
I have the Waste Lands and its pretty darn good. Not worth 100 dollars, but great nonetheless.

hmmm... then you must get rid of it and send it to me. Im hoping my mind tricks will work
Back to top Go down
Phoenix Reign Drummer
Lil' Drummer Boy
Lil' Drummer Boy
Phoenix Reign Drummer

PostSubject: Re: True Arcane Steele Vinyl!!   True Arcane Steele Vinyl!! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 7:21 pm

DeathCult wrote:
I dont know, Ill have to download it now, I didnt like Prime Evil, so I stopped buying Venom albums after that, but had I bought it when it was readily boobs err I mean available, Id have some dough to put towards that Born Again lot. Very Happy

just cant those boobs out of your mind huh? Me neither. The ones on the right just have that something....bounce??
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Quantity, Not Quality
Quantity, Not Quality
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: True Arcane Steele Vinyl!!   True Arcane Steele Vinyl!! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 10:50 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Post the songs I wanna hear!

Shoot me your e-mail address via PM and I will gladly send you a few samples of this sonic atrocity. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Quantity, Not Quality
Quantity, Not Quality
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: True Arcane Steele Vinyl!!   True Arcane Steele Vinyl!! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 11:09 pm

I have sent two sample KILLEN tracks to Phoenix Reign Drummer, as per his request... I eagerly await his return to this thread to tell us what he thought of them... Laughing
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Disturbing The Priest
Disturbing The Priest
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: True Arcane Steele Vinyl!!   True Arcane Steele Vinyl!! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Yeah, Im actually kinda curious as to how it sounds myself.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Quantity, Not Quality
Quantity, Not Quality
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: True Arcane Steele Vinyl!!   True Arcane Steele Vinyl!! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 11:12 pm

Send me yo' e-mail address via PM and this too can be yours.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Quantity, Not Quality
Quantity, Not Quality
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: True Arcane Steele Vinyl!!   True Arcane Steele Vinyl!! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 11:19 pm

Soon DeathCult will know the glory that is Killen. I apologize in advance for any mental cruelty and/or violent behavior that may be caused by listening to this godawful band, by the way.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Disturbing The Priest
Disturbing The Priest
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: True Arcane Steele Vinyl!!   True Arcane Steele Vinyl!! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 11:23 pm

This guy sounds like he took some muscle relaxers before he started to sing.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
I Love The Dead
I Love The Dead
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: True Arcane Steele Vinyl!!   True Arcane Steele Vinyl!! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 11:25 pm

BTW, I don't care if anyone posts links to albums or songs or whatever. If the other Admins are OK with it, post whatever.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Disturbing The Priest
Disturbing The Priest
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: True Arcane Steele Vinyl!!   True Arcane Steele Vinyl!! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 11:28 pm

It doesnt bother me any, but umm, I dont think these particular ones deserve to be readily available
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Disturbing The Priest
Disturbing The Priest
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: True Arcane Steele Vinyl!!   True Arcane Steele Vinyl!! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 11:35 pm

Wow, the drummer sucks, theres a few ok riffs here and there, but this is almost as disasterous as the albums John Frusciante put out when he was on dope.
Back to top Go down
Phoenix Reign Drummer
Lil' Drummer Boy
Lil' Drummer Boy
Phoenix Reign Drummer

PostSubject: Re: True Arcane Steele Vinyl!!   True Arcane Steele Vinyl!! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 11:36 pm

Ok I listened to Scream in the night and actually I thought it wasnt too bad. The recording is aweful but what can you expect from something that was recorded back then especially by a band like this.

Then I listened to the other song Soldiers In Steel. I wasnt getting into this one.

So its not the worst thing I heard in my life. It actually had some potential I think it just suffers from the vocalist and the bad recording.

This actually reminds me of my bands first recordings. We had a guy singing and he was just god aweful! He was in the bad for a long time too. He even got me in the band but eventually we had to get rid of him. You can only ask someone so many times to get singing lessons till you just go and find someone else. Another thing that was bad about him was that he was tall and he really didnt move or around on stage and he would always look down and sing and wouldnt do anything so we nick named him The Tree. Its a shame cause he was a nice guy and turned me onto a lot of bands but as a singer hes just bad. I think maybe Killen might sound better compared to those first recordings of ours haha.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
I Love The Dead
I Love The Dead
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: True Arcane Steele Vinyl!!   True Arcane Steele Vinyl!! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 11:36 pm

Killen is pure shit.

Man that's liberating typing that. Smile
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Disturbing The Priest
Disturbing The Priest
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: True Arcane Steele Vinyl!!   True Arcane Steele Vinyl!! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 11:39 pm

I like when he screams "I" about 4 minutes and some odd seconds in, it sounds like someone kicking a chiuaua around

IYIPEEE!
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Disturbing The Priest
Disturbing The Priest
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: True Arcane Steele Vinyl!!   True Arcane Steele Vinyl!! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 11:45 pm

I really cant get over how bad this is, I mean I like some bad third rate thrash, but wow, this blows harder than a hurricane. It doesnt even sound like they're in time with each other.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Quantity, Not Quality
Quantity, Not Quality
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: True Arcane Steele Vinyl!!   True Arcane Steele Vinyl!! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 10:19 pm

Hahaha, awesome. Anybody else want a sample of this Troo Arcane Steele? Just let me know, I'll be glad to share the disease.

I betcha wherever they are right now, the members of Killen are going "Hmm, my ears are burning, who's talking about me?"
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Disturbing The Priest
Disturbing The Priest
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: True Arcane Steele Vinyl!!   True Arcane Steele Vinyl!! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 11:29 am

Maybe it was supposed to be Killem, because thats not a bad idea.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: True Arcane Steele Vinyl!!   True Arcane Steele Vinyl!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

True Arcane Steele Vinyl!!
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Long Live The Loud :: Long Live The Loud :: Music (All Types)-
Jump to: