Long Live The Loud
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Like any music other than Metal/Rock?

Go down 
+12
MetalH
Tall Tyrion
manny
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
exact33
Phoenix Reign Drummer
DeathCult
SpectreFate
scottmitchell74
detuned
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
detuned
...Dave's not here.
...Dave's not here.
detuned

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Like any music other than Metal/Rock? Empty
PostSubject: Like any music other than Metal/Rock?   Like any music other than Metal/Rock? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 8:45 pm

Just curious. When I was growing up I listened to primarily classic rock and metal, but around 1995 (when I was totally burnt on the entire rock music scene) I was working in a used CD store with a couple jazz fans who kept playing all this "wacky" stuff. At first I was dismissive...then I started to hear bits and pieces that I thought were cool...then within about a month I bought my first jazz CD (John Coltrane - Blue Train). Within 6 months I had 50 jazz CDs.

Now I have about 3000 jazz CDs. (and no savings account whatsoever)

I'm also a fan of blues, some classical, soundtrack music, folk...a little bit of everything.

What say you?
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
In Perpetual Motion
In Perpetual Motion
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 127

PostSubject: Re: Like any music other than Metal/Rock?   Like any music other than Metal/Rock? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 8:46 pm

Blue Grass

Reggae and Dub
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
I Love The Dead
I Love The Dead
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 590
Registration date : 2008-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Like any music other than Metal/Rock?   Like any music other than Metal/Rock? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 8:51 pm

Some country, pop, jazz, classical. I'm all over the musical spectrum.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brianleemarshall.com
DeathCult
Disturbing The Priest
Disturbing The Priest
DeathCult

Number of posts : 855

PostSubject: Re: Like any music other than Metal/Rock?   Like any music other than Metal/Rock? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 8:52 pm

Reggae, blues, pop, and funk. Some classical, some old rap. Im all over the place with alot of stuff, hell I even like some jazz.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Phoenix Reign Drummer
Lil' Drummer Boy
Lil' Drummer Boy
Phoenix Reign Drummer

Number of posts : 316

PostSubject: Re: Like any music other than Metal/Rock?   Like any music other than Metal/Rock? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 9:12 pm

Wow I cant remember ever being burnt out on the rock scene. I guess im too young or I started too late, but I cant ever imagine being burnt out rock to venture into something else. I do listen to some questionable bands that arent neccesarily rock but I still categorize them with rock somehow. I guess you could say Pop but now even Def Leppard says they are Pop so who knows. The bands I listen to though that arent Metal are Pulp, Jarvis Cocker (lead singer from pulp) The Wallflowers, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, No Doubt (oh how they fell), Genesis, The Police , Red Hot Chili Peppers, Mr. Bungle and even those have some rock elements in there.

Ive spent too much time and money on building my collection to start listening to some other genre now is just way too much for me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/waynethedrummerboy
detuned
...Dave's not here.
...Dave's not here.
detuned

PostSubject: Re: Like any music other than Metal/Rock?   Like any music other than Metal/Rock? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 9:16 pm

Well, I think when both Kyuss and Sepultura broke up...and Load came out...the combination pushed me over the edge.

affraid
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Disturbing The Priest
Disturbing The Priest
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Like any music other than Metal/Rock?   Like any music other than Metal/Rock? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 9:18 pm

I was never burnt out on it, I just like to explore.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
I Love The Dead
I Love The Dead
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 590

PostSubject: Re: Like any music other than Metal/Rock?   Like any music other than Metal/Rock? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 9:29 pm

I started with pop music and stumbled on metal via Quiet Riot and Twisted Sister. I could never just listen to one style of music. I would kill myself.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brianleemarshall.com
DeathCult
Disturbing The Priest
Disturbing The Priest
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Like any music other than Metal/Rock?   Like any music other than Metal/Rock? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 9:31 pm

Iron Maiden got me into metal first.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Disturbing The Priest
Disturbing The Priest
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Like any music other than Metal/Rock?   Like any music other than Metal/Rock? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 9:44 pm

Prince is really the only artist non rock or metal where I have the need to be a completist about, his stuff is just amazing.
Back to top Go down
Phoenix Reign Drummer
Lil' Drummer Boy
Lil' Drummer Boy
Phoenix Reign Drummer

PostSubject: Re: Like any music other than Metal/Rock?   Like any music other than Metal/Rock? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 10:04 pm

spectrefate wrote:
I started with pop music and stumbled on metal via Quiet Riot and Twisted Sister. I could never just listen to one style of music. I would kill myself.

haha not me. Theres enough different styles of metal and rock to keep me going.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Disturbing The Priest
Disturbing The Priest
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Like any music other than Metal/Rock?   Like any music other than Metal/Rock? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 10:07 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
spectrefate wrote:

haha not me. Theres enough different styles of metal and rock to keep me going.

I could listen to just metal and rock as well, theres just so many boobs err I mean styles out there, I just happen to like Prince alot although I suppose I could live without it. And those boobs, I love that avatar.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 295

PostSubject: Re: Like any music other than Metal/Rock?   Like any music other than Metal/Rock? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 10:36 pm

I am into:

psychedelic prog
big band
80s hits
krautrock
space rock

Alex
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Sexy Octogenarian
Sexy Octogenarian
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 311

PostSubject: Re: Like any music other than Metal/Rock?   Like any music other than Metal/Rock? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 10:39 pm

I would say the majority of my music collection is guitar-based in hard rock & heavy metal, but I also have a decent amount of blues, rock-a-billy and some big band swing stuff. And being half-Italian, I'm obligated to have a few Sinatra, Dean Martin and Louis Prima discs.

I've found myself switching the sattellite radio to jazz allot lately. I like it enough while we're eating dinner, but I don't think it's something I would get into collecting. I've got a few Miles & Coltrane discs, but I wouldn't considder myself a jazz fan, per say.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Sexy Octogenarian
Sexy Octogenarian
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Like any music other than Metal/Rock?   Like any music other than Metal/Rock? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 10:39 pm

That avatar is quite mezmerizing.
Back to top Go down
detuned
...Dave's not here.
...Dave's not here.
detuned

PostSubject: Re: Like any music other than Metal/Rock?   Like any music other than Metal/Rock? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 10:40 pm

DeathCult wrote:

....theres just so many boobs err I mean styles out there, I just happen to like Prince alot although I suppose I could live without it. And those boobs, I love that avatar.

lol!
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Disturbing The Priest
Disturbing The Priest
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Like any music other than Metal/Rock?   Like any music other than Metal/Rock? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 10:40 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I would say the majority of my music collection is guitar-based in hard rock & heavy metal, but I also have a decent amount of blues, rock-a-billy and some big band swing stuff. And being half-Italian, I'm obligated to have a few Sinatra, Dean Martin and Louis Prima discs.

I've found myself switching the sattellite radio to jazz allot lately. I like it enough while we're eating dinner, but I don't think it's something I would get into collecting. I've got a few Miles & Coltrane discs, but I wouldn't considder myself a jazz fan, per say.

I used to be HUGE into Steely Dan, but I just recently sold it all off, Im just nto grooving too well with Jazz anymore.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Disturbing The Priest
Disturbing The Priest
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Like any music other than Metal/Rock?   Like any music other than Metal/Rock? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 10:41 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Yeah, its not too often you see boob meat do that *wipes drool*
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Quantity, Not Quality
Quantity, Not Quality
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 548

PostSubject: Re: Like any music other than Metal/Rock?   Like any music other than Metal/Rock? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 10:45 pm

I'm just a music geek in general. Mom and Dad played all kinds of stuff around the house when I was a kid, from "Grease" to Dean Martin and Elvis, the Beatles and CCR to doo-wop, both of them had HUGE record collections, so I guess that's where I inherited my insane music collecting genes from.

As for my personal preferences, 99% of my collection is either metal, hard rock or punk, but my wife will throw on some country or classic rock now and again and I don't mind it. I also grew up watching about fourteen hours of MTV a day (back when MTV actually played "M" -- my cable system carried it from the day it went on the air) so to this day I still have a fairly good working knowledge of '80s new wave/pop, early hip hop, etc.

So I don't mind other genres, I just don't go out of my way to collect them.

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
detuned
...Dave's not here.
...Dave's not here.
detuned

PostSubject: Re: Like any music other than Metal/Rock?   Like any music other than Metal/Rock? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 10:46 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I would say the majority of my music collection is guitar-based...

Jazz guitarists are a good "way in the door" for that type of music because it gives you a common frame of reference. Blues and Jazz are basically the same thing, same language...different dialects. Some recommendations:

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue (SRV did the song Chitlins Con Carne from this album)
Wes Montgomery - Full House
Grant Green - Green Street
Barney Kessel - Feeling Free
Tony Williams Lifetime (w/Alan Holdsworth) - Believe It

Of course just about any albums from the above artists are worth checking out, but those are good "starter" discs.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Like any music other than Metal/Rock?   Like any music other than Metal/Rock? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 10:49 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Thanks! I know a lot of you like Mountain Dew Razz

Alex
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Like any music other than Metal/Rock?   Like any music other than Metal/Rock? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 10:50 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

I am a big Glenn Miller fan myself. His stuff was so far ahead of its time...

Alex
Back to top Go down
Phoenix Reign Drummer
Lil' Drummer Boy
Lil' Drummer Boy
Phoenix Reign Drummer

PostSubject: Re: Like any music other than Metal/Rock?   Like any music other than Metal/Rock? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 10:56 pm

I saw the Alex Skolnick Trio cd used the other day and I was wanting to hear what they sounded like cause there was some cover songs on there. I lasted about 2 seconds and I put it down. I knew what they were going to sound like but I just had to find out. Just not my cup of tea.

I grew up listening to rock. Neither of my parents are really into music but my grandfather was and he was always playing something and trying to get me to pick up a instrument. He would Mostly olay all the oldies from his time which I didnt care for but he also listened to CCR and The Beatles. CCR is cool for what they were back in the day. The Beatles were ok too when I was first listening to them but I have heard them so much over the years that now I cant stand to listen to their songs. Def Leppard was my first rock band and I had my period where MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice was huge but still Def Leppard was my favorite and no one was better then I got into metal and all hell broke loose!
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
It's Easier To Lie
It's Easier To Lie
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 246

PostSubject: Re: Like any music other than Metal/Rock?   Like any music other than Metal/Rock? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 8:37 am

I like alot of Bluegrass and Classical music.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Sexy Octogenarian
Sexy Octogenarian
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Like any music other than Metal/Rock?   Like any music other than Metal/Rock? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 12:24 pm

Quote :
I saw the Alex Skolnick Trio cd used the other day and I was wanting to hear what they sounded like cause there was some cover songs on there. I lasted about 2 seconds and I put it down. I knew what they were going to sound like but I just had to find out. Just not my cup of tea.

I'd be interested in hearing that. It's heavy metal tunes done in a jazz-style with no vocals, correct? Are there original compositions on there as well or all covers?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Like any music other than Metal/Rock?   Like any music other than Metal/Rock? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Like any music other than Metal/Rock?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next